The Ulster County Historical Society is proud to have as its headquarters, the Bevier House Museum. The Bevier Family donated the building in 1935 to serve as meeting space and to house the collections of local historical artifacts stewarded by the UCHS.
The home site was first settled in the 1680’s and began as a one room structure, constructed by Andries Van Leuven. It then may have reflected the Dutch tradition of positioning the gable end toward the street. In 1715 Louis Bevier of the New Paltz Patent purchased the property for his third son Louis and wife Maria Hasbrouck.
The site remained in the Bevier Family for the next 223 years and provided a successful income from farming. The home grew and was improved with most changes occurring between 1840 and 1890, when much of the U.S. was experiencing rebuilding and reconstruction after many years of turmoil.
The house and its long history as a family dwelling offers a diverse and significant collection of local artifacts, artwork and cultural items.