A SHORT HISTORY
ULSTER COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
ULSTER HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Objectives: collecting material documenting history of Ulster County and
publishing "a correct, authentic history of the County"
President: A. BRUYN HASBROUCK
Secretary: GEORGE W. PRATT
Meetings were recorded October 1859 through October 1862.
"Collections" were published including papers read at meetings, records,
September 1862 Col. Pratt died as a result of wounds suffered at Battle of
Manassas (Bull Run).
Subsequently, the Society became inactive. The date activities ceased is
ULSTER COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
April 21, 1930 a call to revive the Society was issued by JUDGE ALPHONSO
Organizational meeting: April 30, 1930
President: JUDGE G.D.B. HASBROUCK (he served until his death, June 5, 1942).
Society incorporated and by-laws adopted in 1930
Provisional Charter granted by the Board of Regents for the State Education
Department, September 18, 1930
For several decades, regular meetings were held where scholarly papers were
presented. "Pilgrimages" were made to interesting historical sites. These
were reported in the "Proceedings" of the Society from 1930 through 1958.
1938 - Society accepted BEVIER HOUSE as a gift from Louis Bevier and his
sisters, Margaret Wright and Elisabeth B. Hamilton
1943 - First substantial gift of furnishings to the collection at Bevier
House - the CLARENCE ELTING MEMORIAL presented by his widow, Lottie Z. Elting
1940s and early 1950s - EMILY CRANE CHADBOURNE served as Chairman for the
Headquarters and Museum Space Committee. She donated funds for maintenance
and improvements and was responsible for setting up the Society's library
Absolute Charter granted May 21, 1948.
Renovation of Bevier House under the direction of architect MYRON TELLER
Establishment of an investment fund under President LOUIS BEVIER
Participation in community events including the return of the Chamber's deed
to Kingston, movement for preservation of Perrine's Bridge, and dedication
of the Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge
May 1963 - initial issue of the "Ulster County Gazette"
Restoration at Bevier House under President JOHN P. REMENSNYDER who provided
both funds and donation to the collections (notably the contents of the scullery,
colonial kitchen, earthenware and stoneware collections)
Beginning of a project to identify and catalog collections
Publication of "Early History of Kingston & Ulster County" by Marc Fried
Acquisition and installation at Bevier House of the WILL AND ELIZABETH PLANK
CIVIL WAR COLLECTION
Indexing and archival storage of documents in UCHS library by archivist GAIL
Repairs and improvements to Bevier House under the direction of President
Commemorative exhibition at Bevier House of the paintings of JULIA DILLON
Collections management policy was created and approved.
Bequest of GRACE ELLIOTT, former secretary and trustee, comprising a substantial
financial bequest, household furnishings, books, prints, etc.
Structural and historical analysis of Bevier House by architect Kenneth Barricklo
2005 - New School Program introduced "Exploring Ecology: From Native Americans
2006 - New School Programs introduced
2007 - Museum shop reconstructed with NYS Park grant
2007 - Peter Sinclair Gallery of Early American Crafts and Trades is dedicated.
2007 - UCHS ten year Strategic Plan created.
2008 - Position of Education Coordinator is created.